United Nations Global Truce with respect to 2020 being a year without war.
The Member Nations of the United Nations General Assembly,
Conscious of their Charter committing them to:
…maintain international peace and security, and to that end: to take effective collective measures for the prevention and removal of threats to the peace, and for the suppression of acts of aggression or other breaches of the peace, and to bring about by peaceful means, and in conformity with the principles of justice and international law, adjustment or settlement of international disputes or situations which might lead to a breach of the peace;
To develop friendly relations among nations based on respect for the principle of equal rights and self-determination of peoples, and to take other appropriate measures to strengthen universal peace;
To achieve international co-operation in solving international problems of an economic, social, cultural, or humanitarian character, and in promoting and encouraging respect for human rights and for fundamental freedoms for all without distinction as to race, sex, language, or religion; and
To be a centre for harmonizing the actions of nations in the attainment of these common ends.
Conscious of the fact that their peoples have been increasingly living together in peace in the 21st century;
Mindful of the recent historic changes of integration in the global community which make it possible to overcome their traditional divisions and conflicts;
Having regard to the rights and responsibilities to the people of the world as a whole, and the corresponding agreements and treaties of the global political powers;
Resolve, in accordance with their obligations under the Charter of the United Nations, to develop friendly relations among nations based on respect for the principle of equal rights and self-determination of peoples, and to take other appropriate measures to secure a one-year global truce in the year 2020;
Convinced of the need finally to overcome antagonism and to develop cooperation globally, to simply take this first step of a one-year U.N. member nations global truce in 2020;
Confirming their readiness to reinforce security, in particular by adopting effective arms control, disarmament and confidence-building measures; their willingness not to regard each other as adversaries but to work for a relationship of trust and cooperation; and accordingly their readiness to consider positively setting up appropriate institutional arrangements within the framework of a Conference on Security and Cooperation;
Welcoming the fact that the people of the world, freely exercising their right of self-determination, have expressed their will to bring about a global truce in the year 2020 so as to demonstrate that war has become an outdated mode of conflict resolution amongst their nations;
Convinced that the success of a global one-year truce in 2020 is a significant contribution to peace and stability throughout the international community allowing the people of the world to existentially experience a one-year global truce;
Represented by their Ministers for Foreign Affairs who, have agreed as follows:
(1) Member nations of the United Nations resolve and commit to not using the methods of war to resolve conflict during the year 2020.
(2) Member nations of the United Nations resolve that conflicts that do arise during the year 2020 shall go to arbitration before the appropriate courts for example the International Court of Justice or the Permanent Court of Arbitration.
(3) Member nations of the United Nations undertake to reduce all belligerent, offensive actions of their armed forces during the year 2020. This reduction will commence on January 1, 2020. Member nations of the United Nations regard such a commitment of reduction to be a significant contribution to the reduction of violent conflict internationally.
(4) During the year 2020, armed forces of member nations of the United Nations will not carry out military exercises either individually or collectively.
(5) Member nations of the United Nations will ground their air forces regarding all acts of war.
(6) Member nations of the United Nations will restrain all of their navies with respect to acts of war.
(7) New categories of weapons will not be introduced during the year 2020.
(8) The present 2020 A Year Without War Global Truce is subject to ratification or acceptance as soon as possible by all member nations of the United Nations.
(9) Member nations of the United Nations recognize that this one-year global truce among all member nations is actually an eleven-month extension of the anticipated 2020 one-month Olympic Truce for the Summer Olympic Games in Tokyo, such one-month global Olympic Truces being a U.N. General Assembly tradition every two years for the International Olympic Games since 1998.
(10) The instruments of ratification or acceptance shall be deposited with each of the signatory Governments and non-government political collectives of the world as well as with the Secretary General of the United Nations.